toril

Non-Functional Agents

The following information was taken from the MSPGeek Slack discussion on 6/22/2020 in the #cw-automate channel:

1. Remove your "non-functional" agents from the system
2. Change system password from the Control Center (not directly in the DB) and document for later use as oldsystempassword
2a. Embed oldsystempassword into future uses of LTPosh as server password (server password will now be required when using LTPoSh)
3. Change system password again, this will be the production system password
4. If you have probes you'll have to be reinstall it on the applicable agents
Step 4 expanded is:
4a. uninstall the probe from the site
4b. reinstall the agent with the new password
4c. deploy probeAnd keep those system passwords, old and new, super secure.

What if a "non-functional" agent is functional? Do I reinstall that agent and make sure it's re-registered under a new ID or something? 

Also, 2a makes no sense to me, why are we using old password moving forward? 

From what I understand from those in the know, like @MGreen and @DarrenWhite99, I'd say to make sure the agent is reporting in all it's important info, such as BIOS info, services, storage, etc. If not, then reinstall the agent and verify the new install reports in as it should.

The idea behind 2a, as I understood it, was that the oldsystempassword could still be used for new agent installs without exposing the current system password.

13 minutes ago, toril said:

The idea behind 2a, as I understood it, was that the oldsystempassword could still be used for new agent installs without exposing the current system password.

Exactly.

Thanks for your explanation.  What I can't figure out is where to find the probes in the first place.  I know about network probes.  Same thing?

And apparently that was only really needed if you used the network probes to do agent deployment.