Garym

Create multiple remote monitors quickly

Posted (edited)

Hi. 
I’m looking for the most efficient way to monitor around 200 public ip addresses.  I’ve started creating them manually using remote monitor ping checks but it’s a repetitive process using the monitor wizard 

Surely there’s a better way ?

thanks

Gary 

Edited by Garym
Sp

First, you need MySQL access. If you are using on-prem RMM, you can acquire SQLyog or other [free] tool for connecting to your MySQL database for ConnectWise Automate. If you are using cloud-hosted RMM, you can use Automation Theory's Database Commander plugin to run MySQL commands.

Second, you will need to explore and analyze the table "agents" under database "labtech" and find an existing Remote Monitor you have already created. Then, use that as a template. With some MySQL knowledge, you can use Microsoft Excel CONCAT() to piece together all the INSERT statements you need to execute to create all the Remote Monitors in one go. Make sure you do adequate testing before running on a live production DB!!!

On 7/6/2020 at 2:15 PM, BlueToast said:

First, you need MySQL access. If you are using on-prem RMM, you can acquire SQLyog or other [free] tool for connecting to your MySQL database for ConnectWise Automate. If you are using cloud-hosted RMM, you can use Automation Theory's Database Commander plugin to run MySQL commands.

Second, you will need to explore and analyze the table "agents" under database "labtech" and find an existing Remote Monitor you have already created. Then, use that as a template. With some MySQL knowledge, you can use Microsoft Excel CONCAT() to piece together all the INSERT statements you need to execute to create all the Remote Monitors in one go. Make sure you do adequate testing before running on a live production DB!!!

Never thought to use excel and CONCAT. Good call!

I prepped an excel file with all the fields that I would be replacing in the monitor. A1=IPAddress, B1=Circuit Name, etc. I ended up creating 1 monitor as a template and exported it to a sql file. That way I didn't have to rebuild the INSERT INTO statement. Then I just replaced the text with my CONCAT variables. 192.168.1.1 became ",A1," and so on. I ended up having to split the INSERT INTO statement into multiple chunks to support the 255 char limit. The last Cell is basically =CONCAT("",H2," ",I2,"",J2,"",K2,""). Once everything in place, just drag the cells to duplicate the CONCAT statements and the variables increment themselves. 

Way better than going through the monitor wizard! Thanks BlueToast!

• Like 1