Posted (edited)

Hello All, I came across an oddity. When I go to a client site and run a Service list data summary across all servers for the service name wuauserv, I find the report comes back with the service state stopped. If i right click on any device and start the service and then go to the command status page i can see it execute and then finish as success. Now if i pick the same server and install a Microsoft patch on it, and then log into the same server about 20 minutes later and check the installed patches, nothing shows for that KB as installed. If i check the same systems local services i can see the Windows update service running and set as automatic (triggered start). And I go back and double check the patch install push and it says successfully, why am i not seeing it on the physical server? its a 2012 server. The GPO for updating patch has been set to disabled not enforced, so their is no GPO blocking this.

does the role Windows server update service need to be installed on the server and all servers? I dont want ever server to act as a WSUS server, when we are not using it, we want to push our updates from Automate.

** also note ** That on the local server the service - windows update is set to running and auto. But in the report below it shows it as stopped.

Thanks

KBPATCH_NOT_INSTALLED.png

SERVER_SHOWS_SERVICE_RUNNING.png

THE KBPATCH.png

WSUS_NOT_INSTALLED (2).png

SERVICE_START_SENT (2).png

SERVICE_START_SENT (3).png

SERVICE_SHOWING_STOPPED (2).png

Edited by ITGeek08
fix image

The Windows Update service is by default marked as manual start on Windows 10/Server 2016+. If marked to auto start it stops when not in use.  See http://www.blackviper.com/service-configurations/black-vipers-windows-10-service-configurations/

WSUS is going to be a major change in your environment, requiring update approval in WSUS and also in Automate.  I would avoid it unless you are very familiar with it.