Jas

BIOS Updates on Servers & Workstations

Hi All,

A quick question. Does everyone here update BIOS for Servers and workstations? With a wide variety of systems and BIOS versions I am loathed to add this onto our team to start implementing and maintaining.

Does anyone do this via scripting? If so any chance of sharing your scripts or pointing me in the right direction?

Thanks

We're an HP shop, so the majority of our managed agents are HP pro/elite models. Softpaq Download Manager can do BIOS updates (there's a thread on the forums with the scripts I use). I run a script that pulls a reportinto an EDF. Internal monitors run off the EDF contents. Drivers are auto-installed. BIOS updates generate a ticket so we can coordinate with end users to make sure they don't interrupt. We inherited a handful of Dell systems, so we have dabbled a little bit with the Dell Command Update tool, which I believe also can do BIOS updates, but I have not automated anything for them yet.

For servers (again, HPE primarily) I build a custom ProLiant SPP ISO for the models we have, then script download and staging of the ISO and create tickets for manual deployment 2-3 times a year. Dell has a CLI update utility that I use to manually update the 2-3 servers we inherited.

We generally avoid updating BIOS or drivers unless there's a security fix, or it fixes a bug.  If it ain't broke don't fix it.

• Like 1