Sign in to follow this  
Mdarby

killing a process

So i have a script that currently updates zoom however, if a client has it open then it will not perform the update. I need to add a step in the script to check if zoom is open and then to kill the process if the client has it open. I tried doing a shell command of taskkill/im Zoom.exe /f because that worked in the command prompt but its not working in automate. has anyone done something like this for a script?

Taskkill should work but.....Have you tried 'Process Kill' in the Script?  (After an "IF Process Exists")

Posted (edited)

Add the /f switch in your command. taskkill /f /im zoom.exe. I have a step that uses the 'Execute Script' function with that command and run it as the local agent and it works like a champ.

Edited by EliteR

2 hours ago, tvarvais said:

Taskkill should work but.....Have you tried 'Process Kill' in the Script?  (After an "IF Process Exists")

I have not. I will try that however i just wondering why the shell command wouldn’t work as well?

2 hours ago, EliteR said:

Add the /f switch in your command. taskkill /f /im zoom.exe. I have a step that uses the 'Execute Script' function with that command and run it as the local agent and it works like a champ.

I did just “Shell” but I could try shell as local or whatever they call it in automate. But I do have /f in my command. I put that in my original post 

Posted (edited)

I did just “Shell” but I could try shell as local or whatever they call it in automate. But I do have /f in my command. I put that in my original post 

Sorry, meant to clarify about the /f command. Tested this morning and Shell does work but the /f placement did matter. If I use taskkill /im zoom.exe /f then it never closes Zoom. If I use task kill /f /im zoom.exe then it runs as expected. 

Edited by EliteR