slipkid

How To Reset Dataview

It appears that someone has used the Options > Save Dataview option and overwrote the default dataview. I am specifically referring to the Patching Effective Policy dataview.

We have 456 clients with 5137 servers, yet it now only shows a total of 3 clients with 1054 servers. I have verified there are no filters enabled as well.

Re-'installing' the Ignite Dataviews from the Solution Center will restore the defaults, but you should be careful to save any customizations that you don't want overridden.

Sort by Update Status column on the plugin to see what other Dataviews may have been customized, duplicate the ones you want to keep so they don't get overridden.

image.thumb.png.430906cf1d558d88715aa8af8ebc2628.png

So I highlighted the one I am referring to. Update Status refers to what exactly? I also have Current, Deprecated, and Update Available. Can you explain what each one means just so I make sure I understand what I think it means? The Patching Effective Policy states Local Changes so I would assume that means someone has changed it. If so, what are the steps to reset it to default. I selected it, but no changes. I chose Refresh Solution Info with no results either. Thanks in advance guys! You are more helpful than CW Support!!

owJk5Z.jpg

So I chose the "1 Solution in Queue" option. It states all dataviews with Local Changes will be overwritten. I could backup the database and Install/Update the changes, but how would I bring back dataviews that I backed up (if needed)? We have so many hands in this tool that I honestly could not tell you who changed what. 160 user accounts in Automate. I am the SME and think most of these changes are not necessary.

I chose to install/update. Where does it backup the DB to? It looks like nothing has changed as well (see screenshot).

Screenshot_1.png

I did what you said and then reloaded Solutions Center which set everything to current; it worked so thank you.

My users will need to be made aware and also understand that they have to do Options > Save As Dataview option to avoid causing to overwrite the default Dataviews, as well as so others are aware there are custom options available.

If I were to reset all the current dataviews again and users used the Save As option, will those also be overwritten with custom naming or will they stay? Also, is there a way to just reset a single dataview such as in my example (I should have asked this first probably).

Let me tackle some of your questions...

Status descriptions:
Current - Item is up to date and will not change.
Deprecated - Item will be removed from Automate
Update Available - Item has been modified by CW and will be updated in Automate.
Local Changes - Item has been modified by you or your team and will be replaced with the CW version.

The backup that's created should be placed in the Automate backup folder.  By default it's C:\Program Files\LabTech\Backup.  The nightly backup also lands here.
Through the Solutions Center, there is no way to update just one item under a solution.  It's all or nothing for that particular item.  I believe Solution Center updates are released each Wednesday.  Plan to update these after you apply a new Automate release.  It's not uncommon to have to "reset" things to get them working properly after new bits are applied.  (CW Control very often needs this step performed.)

Unfortunately, when an item reports "Local Changes" there's no way to find out what's been changed.  That said...

For a more granular backup, make sure to install this.  That will create individual .xml files for nearly everything in Automate.  You can then import each item individually if needed.

As mentioned, it's best to copy default Automate scripts, monitors, etc, label appropriately (we prepend text, some folks append a special character), and use those versions in day-to-day tasks.

There's a Dataview Creator hidden in a dark corner of Automate.  Instructions for unearthing it are here.  That will help with copying and modifying each so you have "your" version of it to use.  https://docs.connectwise.com/ConnectWise_Automate_Support_Wiki/500/Create_a_New_Custom_Dataview

With that many users on your system, you need to spend some time reviewing and building user classes.  I'm guessing you have several SuperAdmins that can do anything they want in Automate and lots of LTAdmins, the default user class that has way too much permission to poke around and make changes.  Don't make big changes to user classes all at the same time. Things WILL break for your users and you won't be able to figure out which checkbox to reverse to fix the problem.  You can read up on User Classes here
https://docs.connectwise.com/ConnectWise_Automate/ConnectWise_Automate_Documentation/060/300/040

and view a Permission Matrix from here.   Again, don't trust the titles and descriptions.
https://university.connectwise.com/university/pageview.aspx?short_name=permissions-matrix

You guys are great! I will look at everything you suggested and thank you so much! A lot of great info here! So far no complaints from users yet LOL.

Tony D.

If it helps alleviate your concerns about the users saving, saving changes is the default.  There are many things in the UI I find silly (besides the long history of spelling errors that have slowly been fixed over the past 10 years).  One is that in Dataviews, Options->List Settings has Save Settings on Close checked by default.  Note there is also an option for Clear Custom Settings on Close that can also be checked.  If both are checked at the same time, I don't know, maybe a black hole is created or something.

23 minutes ago, SteveYates said:

If it helps alleviate your concerns about the users saving, saving changes is the default.  There are many things in the UI I find silly (besides the long history of spelling errors that have slowly been fixed over the past 10 years).  One is that in Dataviews, Options->List Settings has Save Settings on Close checked by default.  Note there is also an option for Clear Custom Settings on Close that can also be checked.  If both are checked at the same time, I don't know, maybe a black hole is created or something.

HAHA! Yeah that is really not the best idea. I wonder if there is a way to change the default setting globally because I can almost bet this is the case for the majority of these Local Changes dataviews.