Exchange Cumulative Updates

Exchange CUs have not been issued through Windows Update since Exchange 2010.  They are literally full installs, and can take a couple hours.  It needs a restart after, and oftentimes before (most take 2-3 tries in my experience).  I am not sure I would want to script it.

MS issues security patches for Exchange through WU but only for the most recent two CUs.  They used to support the latest service pack also, but my understanding is they stopped doing that and now only support the latest CUs.  (the hyperlinked ones, on that MS URL)  So anyone more than a few CUs old isn't getting security updates.

Also note the .Net version matters so one must review .Net and CU versions when making an upgrade path: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/Exchange/plan-and-deploy/supportability-matrix?view=exchserver-2019#microsoft-net-framework

OK, we will give it a try with a Script:

- check or upgrade .net
- maint mode (alarms)
- reboot
- download and extract ISO
- Install: \ExchangeUpgrade\Setup.exe /IAcceptExchangeServerLicenseTerms /Mode:Upgrade
- reboot and mail technican

check if server is still alive ;)