Run Monitor on one agent and execute script on different agent

Hello All-

We are trying to run a TCP port monitor on one of our external agents, we would like to execute a script to restart a service on a different internal agent when that monitor fails.  I reviewed the monitor configuration process and it appears that all of the monitor actions /alerts can only run on the local host/agent where the monitor is set.

I was wondering if we would be able to accomplish this either via a monitor + EDF or other solution.

I opened a ticket with support and currently do not have an answer that would work for us.  Any help or direction would be greatly appreciated.

Two different solutions for ya:

1) On the first agent, make the script set a location-edf (or client-edf). Then have a searchgroup filtered on whenever this location (or client) has the EDF ticked to start a script on the second agent (only). You could potentially mark the second agent with another EDF (or make it the probe/master and have it selected based on that). Or something non-scalable like specify the ID.

2) in the script you can just switch computers by changing the variable @computerid@ to the new ID. If you then also reload all variables in the script then most things like %computername% should then update. Any line after that will execute from the second agent. If you store the first agentID in something like @old_computerid@ then you can even switch back in the script.

You should go for option 2 here if you need speed, option 1 might take 30mins to kick in, but hey that could maybe work for another use-case.

Wesley-

thanks for the feedback. I will have to check and see if i can test this with a different type of monitor and script action in my dev environment to see if i get the desired results.  I have had very little luck in the past when attempting to run a script on one agent and expecting it to run something on a different agent in conjunction.  I have been forced to run separate scripts and timer to accomplish some tasks because of this.

If this allows me to change the computer id and manage the action on a different machine from one single agent, that would certainly resolve my issue.

• 2 weeks later...

Braingears-  Thanks for the feedback.  I have been working with support to identify a way to accomplish this but have been told that the switching of computerid may not work as expected for the following reasons.

Server A is outside of the domain and there is no current admin account on that host that exists in Server B

When the script will try to execute the action, this will fail because the account (admin) used to execute does not exist on server B and thus will not have admin credentials.

I will try to post some screenshots of what the script steps would look like but it seems that i need to have some local account on the machines that can manage both devices.  We do not like to attach credentials in our shell commands so that is a challenge it seems.

• 1 month later...

@mikey090tx If you didn't find an answer to this, on the client location for Server A you'll have to configure/use an account that has permissions to execute the commands on the other computer whether that's local or domain account.  Right click on Server A client location> open location> Passwords> configure with domain\user and pass for server B.  If non-domain joined then hostname\user.  This should allow you to execute the script from the originating server location.

Edited by networkguy