Michael Priest

Ninite Solution - Seamlessly Integrating Ninite and LabTech

Michael,

I have two clients that do some transparent web content filtering on the network and some of the updates were failing (not using your plugin yet, using scripts).

I needed to be able to tell ninite to use a specific proxy and port for it's work, couldn't use the system proxy, and asked Patrick and Sascha if they'd be interested in supporting a proxy directive on the command line. Two days later it's implemented. (/proxy ip port is the command line option.)

Might you have interest in adding the proxy directive for location and computer?

Thanks

mark

Hi Mark,

If it was something that was wanted by the community i for sure would look at adding proxy support to the solution, I'm currently working on adding support for the /locale switch right now so you will be able to override auto-detected language settings Globally, Location and Per computer.

Cheers,

Michael

Testing out the plugin now... the only issue I am having so far is the location level is not showing any apps.

S28Ke.jpg

Hey Cgauss,

Sometimes on new installs this happens once you have defined global defaults you just need to restart the Control Center and it will be okay, I will fix it in a future update.

Cheers,

Michael

This Great! One Option that would be nice in a future release is to be able to Configure settings on a group Level so you can different settings for different types of Machines. ie. Our Citrix Servers are in the same location as all of our other servers and our Citrix servers require a different set of apps then our other servers. From what I can see the way to do this now is Enable All the Apps we want on the Location Settings and then go machine to machine excluding what we dont want.

This Great! One Option that would be nice in a future release is to be able to Configure settings on a group Level so you can different settings for different types of Machines. ie. Our Citrix Servers are in the same location as all of our other servers and our Citrix servers require a different set of apps then our other servers. From what I can see the way to do this now is Enable All the Apps we want on the Location Settings and then go machine to machine excluding what we dont want.

+1. Good thinking on the 'Citrix Group idea'!!

Michael... I don't think the plugin needs a 'group level overhaul' but... Something that allows extra apps for certain servers (ie: Citrix/XenApp servers) within a location (something similar as exclusions, but for 'inclusions' would be a great addition.

Keep up the amazing work MP!

Ps: You coming to the Midwest?? ;)

Funny you guys mention this. I always have wanted to extend approvals to be able to be able to do some application based approvals example would be Terminal Servers and such. The other day i thought about applying this through groups.

It may become a little complicated if you forget where all your approvals are applied from, also which setting needs to take precedence?

And which would be the best order for approvals to inherit.

1. Global -> Group -> Location -> Computer

2. Global -> Location -> Group -> Computer

As well with that you will be able to set multiple approvals per group which would mean that there would need to be a priority system to ensure the correct group settings over-rule any other group such is with the Templates.

I will need to map it out a little more however i am still a little reserved on the idea due to the complication it may add, however this solution is being driven by the users so if this is something you think would benefit you feel free to reply with your thoughts.

Regards,

Michael Priest

Michael,

Any inheritance on inclusions, exclusions, and forced installs should follow the same logic as patching does in the core labtech product. That will help to lower the cognitive overhead for the folks trying to figure it out. A viewer at the machine level that would show what clients, location, or group settings impacted the machine would be a great feature, and would significantly cut down on the troubleshooting.

-Bobby

In the Meantime one thing that would help is to Be able to Set Inclusions on the Agent Level rather than just Exclusions.

From what I can tell is If I had 10 Agents at a location and I only wanted to apply this to a single Agent I would have to Make settings at the Location level and then go and set all the exclusions on the 9 Agents.

It would be much easier to just be able to set the inclusions right on the one agent.

Another way to make this easier would also be to be able apply batch configurations. Create a Configuration and then Apply to Selected Agents.

Also What would we need to do to get the Trial Extended? I would like to be able to keep testing this and demonstrate it to Management but will not be able to do that in Less than a week.

Thanks

Michael,

Any inheritance on inclusions, exclusions, and forced installs should follow the same logic as patching does in the core labtech product. That will help to lower the cognitive overhead for the folks trying to figure it out. A viewer at the machine level that would show what clients, location, or group settings impacted the machine would be a great feature, and would significantly cut down on the troubleshooting.

-Bobby

Hi Bobby,

Thanks for the feedback. I agree and i have aimed to keep most configuration settings in-line with how other aspects of LabTech Configuration functions, for those running Ignite you would have noticed this, as for Group based approvals though I believe that they should flow into the location.

Also, on the computer screen you will notice an "Effective Policy button" this button will show you what applications will be updated/installed on this computer and reflecting where the setting is being applied from.

In the Meantime one thing that would help is to Be able to Set Inclusions on the Agent Level rather than just Exclusions.

From what I can tell is If I had 10 Agents at a location and I only wanted to apply this to a single Agent I would have to Make settings at the Location level and then go and set all the exclusions on the 9 Agents.

It would be much easier to just be able to set the inclusions right on the one agent.

Another way to make this easier would also be to be able apply batch configurations. Create a Configuration and then Apply to Selected Agents.

Also What would we need to do to get the Trial Extended? I would like to be able to keep testing this and demonstrate it to Management but will not be able to do that in Less than a week.

Thanks

Inclusion on the agent level that was something that was looked at originally but the feedback i got was to have it follow the Ignite configuration options which is exclusions on the computer level only, you are the first that has asked for this.

Remember you have the ability to do individual applications on-demand without taking into account the approval list. as for your Trial, send me an email (michael@michaelpriest.com.au) with your details and I can extend the trial for another week for you.

Knowing how Ninite works, but not Michael's script, I can't really comment on that side of things - but from a Ninite POV, you can run it with the /updateonly command and it will update all supported applications, not just those installed via Ninite.

eg. You have Ninite set to install Firefox, but you have a client with Chrome installed manually. Running Ninite with /updateonly will update Chrome.

If the /select option is used though, it must include the application you wish to update.

Hi All,

For those running this plugin and wanting to be more involved with this plugin's development or just simple wish to get access to all the new shiny stuff before i make releases available please look at this Updates page where i am making a combination of Beta / Nightly builds available as i make changes that should be functioning, they have all been tested in limited capacity to work so feel free to install & test further.

Please feel free co comment on issues you find and remember suggestions are always welcome. You must be running 1.1.2.0 or above for the In-Plugin update option to be available to participate with these releases.

http://ninitesolution.com/updates.html

Regards,

Michael Priest

http://www.ninitesolution.com

What kind of scalability would this be able to go up to? I'm guessing it's relying on the script engine so we're probably maxed out at 2-3K then like AppCare? I'm looking to scale to 30K.

Hi Brandon,

Yes this will be limited by the performance of the LT Script Engine, If running it on more than 2-3K agents i would look heavily at using the Script Distribution settings introduced in LabTech 2013, however script performance heavily depends on your specific settings which rely on the Server specs.

Regards,

Michael Priest

http://www.ninitesolution.com

Man I would REALLY REALLY love to have your plugin, but it's honestly just not priced properly in my opinion. Your cost for us would be $150.00 per month USD. The ACTUAL cost of the Ninite Pro subscription we use is $131.00 a month. There's no way I can justify bringing that to the partners :(

The Plugin helper should never exceed the cost of the actual software it's plugging in for.

Looks beautiful though.

Take care!

From my perspective it would take tons of hours of time to recreate something not even as polished as Michaels ninite plugin. The monthly charge for his plugin is far cheaper then spending that time on recreating something similar.

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Tapatalk

I can see both points, it is a great time saver, but calculate in the cost of ninite pro, plus the plugin and it starts to add up.

It's not just one plugin we use, we pay for several, plus cw, the monthly costs add up.

Don't get me wrong his solution is polished and I like polished! But we currently use the "free" method and it's working fine for us. Changing from that would be difficult for that price.

https://ninite.com/help/enterprise/labtech.html

Using that method above, the scripts and groups work just fine. I can still check off boxes on the locations to select and deselect what to update and deploy etc. The reason we would like mikes plugin though, is his code is much cleaner.

I can see both points, it is a great time saver, but calculate in the cost of ninite pro, plus the plugin and it starts to add up.

It's not just one plugin we use, we pay for several, plus cw, the monthly costs add up.

This is absolutely what I'm talking about! We have several packages we use and pass off into a price per user contract with the customer. After factoring in labtech, cw, sophos licensing, intronis backups, network detective, myitprocess, ninite, auth anvil,webroot, hitman pro, etc.etc. everytime I make a value add it better be damn worth it. $130 a user for 900 users. Making a global change like that doesn't seem like it costs a whole lot but you have to be careful!

We have no problems at our office when a plug in or program reduces the time my guys have to be in front of a system or automates as much as possible.

We always budget for these things yearly and notify the customer when the features are added which increases the cost..

$200 a month spread over 1000+ agents is very easy to do for us.

Also having someone that supports the plug in if there is an issue is a big plus for me.

I have enough work to do without programming labtech when someone else has already done it..

Just my 2 cents on the issue..