Michael Priest

Ninite Solution - Seamlessly Integrating Ninite and LabTech

hey Michael, i installed the trial and have been messing around with it for the past couple hours. it is awesome. the only thing i am having problems with is having the ninite tab come up under the client locations. if you have a few minutes maybe you could help get this mess sorted out with a TV sesh?

Thanks again -Jared

Hi Guys,

I've just released a Nightly (Beta) Build of the plugin which contains an updated UI on the Computer screen which should make it easier to use, as well as that there are a few other minor fixes in this and previous nightly builds, if all goes well over the coming days i'll get this all pushed as a final release.

image2014-12-15%2013%3A47%3A36.png?version=1&modificationDate=1418611671004&api=v2

image2014-12-15%2013%3A47%3A48.png?version=1&modificationDate=1418611682515&api=v2

image2014-12-15%2013%3A48%3A9.png?version=1&modificationDate=1418611704622&api=v2

image2014-12-15%2013%3A48%3A27.png?version=1&modificationDate=1418611722561&api=v2

Read more at https://michaelpriest.atlassian.net/wiki/x/AoAs

Michael-

I just downloaded the demo yesterday and will be purchasing this week. I had 2 quick questions though;

1- Where do I configure the Cache Directory at the Location Level? I am not seeing this anywhere under the "Ninite Solutions" tab at the location level.

2- This is more of a feature request for Prompt to Close; would it be possible to add (1) prompt to close for servers, (2) prompt to close for workstations/laptops (3) different default options for after hours, (4) and maybe the ability to change from 90 second delay to 5 minutes?

Thanks! Loving the product so far.

Hi There,

to answer your questions, the Cache Directory is part of the Base LabTech configuration, Ninite Solution just hijacks it's settings if you look at the DRIVE field on the bottom of the main location tab this is where it is configured, for additional information on how to configure cache drives you could look up Caching on the LabTech Documentation, i've also posted a Cache Directory Create script in the Geek Exchange on this site that can assist with the process.

2a.Prompt to close should work on servers however splitting Prompt to Close for Workstations / Servers is a good idea and something i have on my Wish list as well as being able to Enable / Disable it on a per Location configuration

2b. I will have to look at what configuration would be required to have a hour policy in place.

2c. Unfortuently the 90 second time out is a default of LabTech and cannotbe changed.

Feel free to let me know if you have any other questions, i'm doing a bit of travel over the next few weeks so email may be a better contact method.

Few ideas...

1 - Any chance of adding a button on the Location and/or Client level for running Ninite Audit on all computers in that level?

2 - Any chance of exporting the PDF's of the Audits in landscape? Seems like the last few columns always print on a separate page.

Hi Scubes,

The next screen to get revisited is the location screen, and i have plans to add On-Demand actions as well as ability to trigger audit for that location manually, as for the PDF to go Landscape i'll take a look!

Hey MPriest,

Our company just bought the license for Ninite and I don't see any way for it to work on Macs at all. Is this not supported on Apple computers? And is there any future integration?

Thanks!

Hi Dapana,

there is no supported Ninite Pro version for MAC's so unfortuently there i s nothing here that i can provide you with. you could speak with Ninite directly and see if this is something they have planned.

Ok, thanks. Btw, Mpriest, we just got a pop-up on all our computers about the Java update. This shouldn't have popped up on anyone's computer... can you tell me how this happened and where I can change that from ever popping up again? We have clients that absolutely cannot see things like that (medical facilities and such). Thanks!

Ok, thanks. Btw, Mpriest, we just got a pop-up on all our computers about the Java update. This shouldn't have popped up on anyone's computer... can you tell me how this happened and where I can change that from ever popping up again? We have clients that absolutely cannot see things like that (medical facilities and such). Thanks!

Dapana,

This pop-up message was sent out only to your business and not your clients, the conditions for the pop-up are: Be a Super Admin within the Control Center.

Regards,

MIchael Priest

I tried out the trial and it was great. We should be purchasing it soon, but I have a question for ya. Do you have any plans to make any reports that would be based off your plug-ins information? It looks like you keep a decent amount of logging/data in the database from the plugin's actions so it looks like it would be possible at least.

I tried out the trial and it was great. We should be purchasing it soon, but I have a question for ya. Do you have any plans to make any reports that would be based off your plug-ins information? It looks like you keep a decent amount of logging/data in the database from the plugin's actions so it looks like it would be possible at least.

Hi Alex,

Glad you like it.

The plan is to get some reports up and coming, i've been waiting for the new Report Engine that LT are working on as there is going to be less emphasis on Crystal. but yes there is plenty of Data collected and there will come reports i have played around with some in Crystal as well as with CFAR trying to get the right data collected and represented, others have also done some stuff in Crystal and got information going out.

Cheers,

Michael

Hi Michael,

Are there any thoughts to adding audit functionality at location or client level? We are thinking about just doing whole organizations to see what needs to be installed/updated on multiple locations within a client.

Thanks!

Daniel

Hi Michael,

I'm currently a Kaseya admin and have built a pretty nice Ninite script for it but my company is making the switch to LabTech and your plugin would save me loads of time so I'm very interested in testing it out. I plan on getting started with your trial this week. So far your plugin looks to be doing everything I had built into my Kaseya script except for one thing. With my Kaseya script, I am checking for Adobe Acrobat registry keys and if they are detected, my script will not install Adobe Reader as those two application settings conflict with one another. Another application conflict is NitroPDF.

Would it be easy for you to include in your scripts the checking of conflicting PDF applications to auto deny the installation of Adobe Reader?

As a company, we push out Adobe Reader to all our client computers as most of them don't use NitroPDF or Adobe Acrobat. It would be nice to have it auto exclude Adobe Reader if it detects another PDF application.

If it's too much trouble, then I'll just have to run some audits and manually exclude Adobe Reader from certain clients/machines.

Thanks! Looking forward to testing out your plugin in more depth.

Erik

Hi Daniel,

Currently there is User interface to trigger audits at the Client or Location level however you are able to view the results of Audits at the Location level, using the Application Maintenance script in audit only mode you are able to trigger the script to run against any target you like to perform an audit (Group, Location or Client) i have included a link to the Advanced usage doc's that outline how to run the script in Audit Only mode.

https://michaelpriest.atlassian.net/wiki/x/PgAa

Regards,

Michael Priest

Hi Michael,

Are there any thoughts to adding audit functionality at location or client level? We are thinking about just doing whole organizations to see what needs to be installed/updated on multiple locations within a client.

Thanks!

Daniel

Hi Erik,

You are right, I've not got any auto detection in place to handle conflict settings like that, but you are able to manually exclude a single application at a location level depending on your policies, the thing here is it does require a little bit of extra configuration, if you know what sites have Nitro or Reader as an example then you can just enable / disable depending on you're requirements.

Regards,

Michael Priest

Hi Michael,

I'm currently a Kaseya admin and have built a pretty nice Ninite script for it but my company is making the switch to LabTech and your plugin would save me loads of time so I'm very interested in testing it out. I plan on getting started with your trial this week. So far your plugin looks to be doing everything I had built into my Kaseya script except for one thing. With my Kaseya script, I am checking for Adobe Acrobat registry keys and if they are detected, my script will not install Adobe Reader as those two application settings conflict with one another. Another application conflict is NitroPDF.

Would it be easy for you to include in your scripts the checking of conflicting PDF applications to auto deny the installation of Adobe Reader?

As a company, we push out Adobe Reader to all our client computers as most of them don't use NitroPDF or Adobe Acrobat. It would be nice to have it auto exclude Adobe Reader if it detects another PDF application.

If it's too much trouble, then I'll just have to run some audits and manually exclude Adobe Reader from certain clients/machines.

Thanks! Looking forward to testing out your plugin in more depth.

Erik

Thanks Michael,

I just signed up for the trial and installed the plugin. It hasn't detected a trial key so I can't use it yet. Does it take a little time to activate?

Erik

Thanks for the help Michael! I've started using my trial and I'm liking everything about it so far :).

Quick question. I used it to update my computer as a test and noticed that it did not update Firefox. It said it wasn't installed when it was. I have Firefox ESR (extended support release) installed on my system and I don't see it in your list of applications for NiNite when it is something that they support. And chance you can include Firefox ESR in your applications for NiNite?

Thanks,

Erik

Thanks for the help Michael! I've started using my trial and I'm liking everything about it so far :).

Quick question. I used it to update my computer as a test and noticed that it did not update Firefox. It said it wasn't installed when it was. I have Firefox ESR (extended support release) installed on my system and I don't see it in your list of applications for NiNite when it is something that they support. And chance you can include Firefox ESR in your applications for NiNite?

Thanks,

Erik

Erik,

If you update to the latest build 1.1.8.5 you will have what you are looking for.

http://apps.michaelpriest.com.au/MPPluginInstaller/

and run the installer to update.

-jeff