bpsmith

Deploy Printer Drivers via script

I am wondering if anyone has pushed out printer drivers via a script in LabTech. It seems that it should be possible but I can't find anything to get me headed in the right direction. My thought is that if a script can be created to install drivers, then EDFs can be created allowing printers to be deployed remotely and quickly. Any help is appreciated

Ack, I'd really avoid this if you can. Do you not have a server onsite that you can use as a print server?

Ya, I dont mean to be negative, but I have to agree with amw3000. We dont even allow a single windows update supplied driver to be pushed out via labtech because updating/installing drivers remotely has such a high likelihood for disaster. Additionally most printer manufacturers seem to have a hard enough time making drivers that work, and I haven't seen any with silent installers.

Networking would be a real bear with this, in my mind printers ought always be static and in the same range and yet most of our clients have varying IP schemes despite our best efforts. Lastly, we are not a huge MSP and we always try to push HP printers when we can just so we can stick to a familiar experience, and yet we still support hundreds of different model printers and drivers across all our clients.

Printers are always a pain but if you have a server with print management role installed and group policy deployment setup it can make it much less so. If they are sites without a print server, well, I gotta guess that would be even more difficult to make work via labtech.

Ive posted one here I use for Kyocera printers, as an example.

For built in Microsoft printer vbs scripts and reference: http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/cc754352.aspx

This script uses parameters to gather 2 required items: IP Address of the device, and model of the device.

Also note that for my onboarding, everyone gets the 7zip cmd line version downloaded to System32.

I call it to extract the downloaded zip folder.

Untitled.png

I also have one for adding shared print queues, let me know if you'd like me to post it.

Thanks

Copy of KYOCERA KX.zip

I have tried this repeatedly time and time again. I highly advise against it just for frustration issues.

The biggest annoyance I ran into is that even though Labtech has the ability to run those printer shell commands as the admin account or the current user sometimes the drivers require admin rights that just hang or cause the installer to just close silently if they are not satisfied.

It really has been hit or miss on this one. Push them via GPO or something. You'll thank yourself later.

I agree with that summarization; basically I answered the "Is it possible?" part of this post, and clearly although my example works for one vendor, there are a bunch of unknowns with other vendors, so this answers the "Should I?" part of that question.